My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.indiaprblog.com and update your bookmarks.

This blog has moved to www.IndiaPRblog.com

Public Relations news, resources, and discussions on PR tactics, PR tools, and the new media


Instant messaging with journalists

See Piaras Kelly's post on PR people using instant mesengers like MSN and Yahoo chat to send quick messages to journalists. He says using Instant Messaging proved to be really efficient because:
  1. I could see whether the journalist was online

  2. Whether he was available or away from his desk

  3. Could see whether he was responding or whether my message was lying idle on his screen

  4. I can have a group discussion without overlooking someones contribution as can happen with email

  5. It's far less intrusive than phoning a journalist, especially later in the day when they might be racing towards a deadline

  6. Means my inbox is far less cluttered

The post made me think hard if I can actually do it here in India. I cannot ask the grumpy old journalists of ET and BS to add me on their chat messengers. Then I thought whether I should just invite them to add me? Would they blacklist me as a potential threat to their privacy? I am on their phone half of the day everyday (just kidding) and now I want them on the chat as well!!

Then I thought what about those journalists whom I share a good rapport with? Why can't I start with them? I have dozen odd friends on my chat messengers but none of them are journalists? Why don't I sound this idea off to the journo friends? Maybe they won't have the heart to say no. Then whenever I issue a press release and there is nothing more to explain than the crap (I'm talking about most of the global releases of our MNC clients that have no relevance in India, but we have to issue anyway. Someone please explain to them. I've done enough and given up.) that is there on the release itself, I just can send them a quick message. Saves them and me the trouble of hearing each other's voices and exchanging useless niceties.

More seriously, I agree with Piaras that messaging is far less intrusive than phoning a journalist. And instant messaging is a wonderful tool and it's up to us how we want to use it - whether to make ourselves a nuisance or not in front of the journalists depends on how we use/ abuse this technology. If we start using this for serious communication, journalists will start taking our messages also seriously. The idea is worth a try.

Technorati tags: , , , , ,, ,, , , ,, , , ,

Labels: ,

Social bookmark this post:
Bookmark this India PR Blog! post on del.icio.us Bookmark this India PR Blog! post on furl Bookmark this India PR Blog! post on Google bookmarks Bookmark this India PR Blog! post on Ma.gnolia Bookmark this India PR Blog! post on Windows Live Bookmark this India PR Blog! post on Yahoo! StumbleUpon Technorati save_to_blinkbits

Technorati Cosmos: other blogs commenting on this post

2 Responses to “Instant messaging with journalists”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    let's start with getting into the instant messaging mode among ourseleves PR people first  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    your idea's are fresh...hope not too futuristic...  

Post a Comment

Posts by category

    Search this blog!

Search Indian PR websites!

Recent Comments

  • View RSS feed

Del.icio.us Links

Blog roll



    • Locations of visitors to this page


    • Creative Commons License
      All posts on this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.

    • Successful and Outstanding Blog(gers)
    • Preferred Vendor in the Ni Dilli, Delhi Public Relations Firms Directory at Marketingtool.com.

    • HobbitHob at Desicritics

    • BlogBurst.com DISCLAIMER: All posts are the opinions of the individual writers of this blog, and in no way reflect any employer's, agency's, or association's viewpoints or opinions. All comments on the posts on this blog are the properties of the commentors, whether the commentors chose to remain anonymous, use their real names or nicknames, or whether they provide their contact details or not. Commentors are responsible for what they write on the posts. IndiaPRBlog! and its writers do not take any responsibility for any comments left on any of the posts in this blog.Primarily, please refrain from naming any particular individual. Thanks for your help and understanding.

© 2007 India PR Blog - Public Relations practice, resources, and jobs